Wednesday, February 09, 2011

A Common Life

For many years, I have loved this poem by Emily Dickinson:

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain

I think this aptly applies to those of us who take on the role of caregiving.This has been a comfort to me, when I have felt that life was passing me by and when I become frustrated, tired and angry. What I am doing has value.

And I recently came across another quote which really hit home:

“I am a common man with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten. But I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough”. --Nicholas Sparks, from his novel: 'The Notebook'

Isn’t it enough to have loved and to have eased one pain? Sisters!

No comments: