Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Does Anybody Really Care?

I used to love my job. I have put a lot into making my position valuable to the school. I used to feel that I contributed something valuable. I still think that I have contributed a lot to the school. I just don't think that anyone really cares how I am doing.

Now that people know that I’m going to be retiring, people who haven't made the time before to come get training on various software, now want me to put in extra time to teach them these things before I retire.

I got deathly sick at work on Friday afternoon. I had to crawl under a table to change a network cable. When I got up, I thought I was going to pass out. Then I got nauseous. So I ran to the bathroom and threw cold water on my face. Even so, I still felt nauseous and dizzy. I was working with a teacher at the time and she was upset with me when I told her I was sick and was going to have to go home. I sent e-mails (that I was sick and was going home) to the appropriate people and got back some "cute" comments. I have no desire to do this anymore.

My long-time co-worker begged me to stay at work until the end of May. The other person in our area was engaged to be married to a career military man (military intelligence). He got an overseas assignment and she was able to go with him now--or wait a year. So they got married this past weekend and she is gone. So I am going to try to stay until the end of May, but I may need to take more time off than I expected.

I applied for Social Security. For some reason I don't understand, I can't get it until July. If I retire at the end of May, I may not get anything from my pension until July. I just don't know how fast they process things. Fortunately, I have a little bit of a financial buffer so that we can get through a couple of months, if necessary.

I am so "done" mentally with this job.

No comments: